Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Don't Cry Over spilled Smoothies and Mac-n-Cheese Powder....

Yes....horrible spills today....Whippersnapper spilled her smoothie before Foo Young was even up. Cleaned up and we moved onto some schooling - I'm finding that it goes better if we do Science, History/Geography and Bible upstairs at the kitchen table before Foo is even awake.  They are the subjects that require me to read more in depth material and have to explain things a little more - much easier to do without Foo running around destructing and then distracting.

We have wheat fields all over our area - they are so beautiful and the girls ask every time we pass one 'Is that wheat?" I've been meaning to pull up a video of some sort on the interwebs showing how wheat is ground into flour.  Today was the perfect opportunity - we opened up our History book to learn that the first farmers grew wheat and ground it into flour!  What a coincidence that we have been talking about wheat into flour and flour into bread, muffins, cakes, etc. for weeks! So, I found a cool 7 min video online that showed the whole process. 

A field near our house - I took one stalk from this field to show the girls up close how the grain has a hull or shell around it - and Maguillicutty said "you better hope the farmer doesn't give you a ticket!"


So, we moved downstairs around 9am....I brought Foo's breakfast down with me - we worked on Math, Handwriting and Language Arts. It was great - I used some supplemental materials I found thru Pinterest...and the two were totally engaged.  Worked on letter B and number 3 and had the girls write number patterns on pretend dominoes for numbers 1-3...and we learned about tallies....I explained if we kept a record for every time Foo Young says "Poopy Pants" - this is how we would do it.  They got a chuckle out of this.

When school was over for the morning - we headed upstairs...Maguillicutty and I were a minute behind the other two because we had to mark our map with where my Dad and sister were (they are currently trekking across country...Asbury Park, NJ to Stockton, CA)...Whippersnapper came back down to tell me that Foo Young spilled Maguillicutty's smoothie...NOOOOOOOOO.....

Got that cleaned up and told everyone to get shoes on and go potty - we were headed to a farm to get some black raspberries....only to get to the farm and find we just missed the season by 2 days!  2 Days!!!!  So, instead we got apricots and 2 ears of corn - Maguillicutty asked why they are called ears and the farmer told us it's because a stalk only grows 2 cobs of corn and they poke out of the sides like 2 big elf ears...but sometimes you will have a stalk with 3 ears and usually when that happens the 3rd ear isn't very good.
Headed back home to make lunch - as I was cutting up apricot and strawberry slices for everyone, Maguillicutty was playing with the package of cheese powder that was going into our Annies Organic noodles - when it came time for me to put the power into the noodles, I shook the packet down like anyone does to get everything down towards the bottom of the packet and the packet just flew across the kitchen - here Maguillicutty had torn open the packet already - cheese powder EVERYWHERE.  I hate meal times....you would think it would quiet time...everyone stuffing their faces...but it's always so loud and annoying and someone is always complaining about what is in front of them.  I need to look up on Pinterest how to improve meal times with little kids.
After "rest time" - we made a little scene to go along with our current read aloud The Boxcar Children....the other two have been playing nicely with this for about an hour...pretty cool!


Now to get these dirty kids bathed and fed and then off to their 2nd night of VBS!

2 comments:

  1. Meghan,

    I am reading this out loud to my parents and aunt and uncle and we are loving it! They are all cracking up! They told me to tell you that you are a great writer and "you go Meghan!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear we are bringing smiles to others...it's encouraging...even tho it's only week 2...don't know how ur aunt Kathy did it for 13 yrs...seems like forever right now for me!!

      Delete