Thursday, July 31, 2014

So much more than Busy!

"First off", we are contemplating changing Foo's nickname to "And Me?" Cause that's all she says right now...it's funny.... 
Me..."Whipper, go brush your teeth"
Foo "and me?"
Me "Maguill, get your bathing suit on"
Foo "and me?"
Me "let's get our shoes on"
Foo "and me?" 
Me "let's get ready for bed"
Foo <insert a screaming NOOOOo here>

School was fun today! I had been trying to get across two different types of rock (sedimentary and igneous) the last few days and it was just not sinking in for Maguill...until today! I mixed up some cornstarch, baking soda and water and cooked on the stove till it thickened like mashed potatoes...let it cool and then rolled it into several 1" balls. When we were ready...we headed out into the yard and collected some nature...things that could be fossilized...and then we went to town and pretended our hands were the sedimentary layers pushing down over time turning the lower layers into fossils. Then we let the "clay" fossils dry...it  turned out great and Maguill now knows what and how sedimentary rock is formed. 


Next up was History/Geography....we started our unit on the ancient Romans this week and again...just felt like I didn't fully have Maguill with me...as we were reading about what they ate back then and what their kitchens looked like and the Roman Dinner Party...I went with the flow and threw cushions on the porch floor and told the girls I was their slave and they were at a Roman dinner party...one of the key things I leaned today is that the Romans ate laying down on couches and they had 3 courses and washed their hands in between each meal....so I brought a bowl of water out and a towel and dried their hands after every wash and I stood in the corner while they ate and wouldn't talk to them or interact at all unless they asked me for something....this really sparked their understanding of what slaves were and Maguill, especially, understood that it was wrong and not a nice way to treat people...but they still enjoyed the dinner party...however they both agreed it was hard eating while lying down....


Back to reality...we went to Grandmas preschool to just play...like real kids! And made thank you cards for our friend who took us fishing the other day...whipper said "I'm gonna draw a fish floating on the water..." Uhhhhh.....ummm...ok?!?!?

Then we went swimming at a neighbor friends house....funniest thing....this friend, we will call Terry, is an identical twin to our other friend, Harry...my girls don't see Terry as often as they see Harry...so when Terry walked into the pool area....Maguill yells out "Harry!!!"....only it was Terry...maybe you had to be there, but it gave me a chuckle.

We had happy hour at Harry's house where the girls FINALLY got to climb a tree....



Next up after dinner...visit to our dog friend, Jeb. Jeb is maybe a 2 yr old lab and I am in love with him...he loves the girls but can be a tad rough in puppy terms. Jebs parents also have a super cool pond with crazy fish in their backyard so girls enjoyed feeding them and picking up the pond plants....


I want to move back to my hometown....although I think my hometown would all move away of we did....teehee....





3 comments:

  1. The rocks were so cool and how you explain the Roman slaves to them was awesome!!! Neither things would have EVER happened in a school building. Love it.

    ReplyDelete