Sunday, July 20, 2014

Faith Alive Community Church

As I sit here enjoying my fresh watermelon margarita on the rocks...Yes...that's right - I'm reflecting on our visit to a new church this morning. Hubs was not in attendance, for he was out of town..But the fact that I got all 3 kids ready..even made them pancakes for breakfast...and went to a 10am service (which is a perfect time for our family)...is really an amazing accomplishment for myself and I pat myself on the back x10.
Faith Alive CC is the only non-denominational church in our immediate area that I had been wanting to check out...and I was drawn to it especially this weekend for one specific reason.  Maguillacutty went to preschool with a little lady whose family is deeply involved in this church - and I chatted with the mom of this little lady yesterday at the VBS water fun day.  And there was something about her that I was just drawn too - however, I was sad that we never really connected over the last 2 years of our girls going to preschool together...all the days of us dropping off and picking up...we never really chatted.  I feel really bad about this.
But something drew me to her at the VBS fun day - so we showed up at Faith Alive today...saw her pull up as we were parking.  Maguillacutty was so excited to see her friend and vice versa - and as I walked up to the church I couldn't help but notice the very old congregation...very old...  And this surprised me because I had checked out their website beforehand and saw they had a young pastor - early to mid 30s...with wife and 3 young boys.  But I went with the flow....
Maguill's friend led them right into the nursery where they started playing immediately - it was adorable...I took Foo into the sanctuary with me and my new mom friend.  My new mom friend reassured me it was ok to let Foo go into the nursery if it was going to be easier for me, so I did.  And I'm so glad I did - I was able to to fully worship with songs and be completely engaged when the Pastor spoke.  I love Christian music - it has always been my most comfortable way of prayer.  Now, onto the sermon - Pastor Matt - spoke of a Universal Divine Law - and basically we know there is a God because we all understand, naturally, what is good and what is evil.  My brother-in-law is an atheist....but he knows its wrong to murder someone or commit adultery.  And it all comes back to the 10 Commandments.  There are people in this world who have never even heard of God or the Bible but still in their hearts, know what is right and wrong...Universal Divine Law. My first major sign from God today was when Pastor Matt mentioned Romans 3:23 - All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God... that was the first bible verse I taught Maguill & Whipper 2 weeks ago...I mean...of all the verses in the Bible...he speaks of that one???  I loved everything Pastor Matt had to say - it was just stripped down and bare and just Bible...no fluff and I could easily relate and understand...even teared up a bit.  Then i came to find his wife was singing in the beginning worship and then she was in the nursery with Whipper & Foo....while Maguill was downstairs in Childrens Church.  I didn't talk much to the Pastor and his wife - just basically shook their hands, introduced myself and thanked them for a wonderful Sunday morning.  I emailed my new mom friend thanking her for making us feel comfortable in a new place and I told her I felt like I was being called to be there - she told me that getting some younger families in has been one of the church's prayer requests...are we the start to the answer?  Can we wait it out for who knows how many years and just pray that more families like ours walk in the doors and grow this little church into something beyond Pastor Matt's wildest dreams?  Or do we continue searching...
So, here's my question of the day - how do we know the Lord is calling us to this church and wants us to make it our home???  It's so old in so many ways...started out in someone's home years ago...but has so much potential given the young age of the Pastor - he and his wife have to want the same things for their boys as my husband and I want for our girls - youth group programs and mission trips and small bible groups...basically everything we all want out of our home church.  I loved what the Pastor had to say in his sermon and got a great vibe from his welcoming wife....our 2 older girls really enjoyed their mornings and said they want to go back....do we trust that this is a sign of "true faith" as my mom told me...am I answering my own questions.....

2 comments:

  1. The best part about reading your blog is to hear the questions you are asking. It is so powerful to keep asking questions! I believe we lose something valuable in our lives when we stop asking good questions. I would approach it all with a prayerful heart and continue ask God for His direction. He will not let you down. You are on a beautiful journey Meghan...thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh!!! I just read this and started crying! I am so excited and happy for you and Rich and the girls. God is truly at work in your life and He is continually revealing Himself to you and that is just so cool to see happen. I'll be praying that He would continually guide you towards the path that He already has laid out for you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete